SUMMARY: RIS install problem

From: John Deacon <jrd_at_star.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 15:07:54 +0000 (GMT)

Once again the list came up with the answer in a matter of minutes. I was
having a problem trying to use a v3.2C system as a RIS server to upgrade
other machines to v4.0 (original message at the end of this summary).

The answer came fro John Files <jhf_at_dmu.ac.uk>

> We had the same problem - you cannot use the V3.x ris to install v4.0.
> Mount the OS cd and run /cdrom/isl/utilupdate -r -m /cdrom on the RIS
> server.
> This updates ris, setld and ris_pax to v4.0 versions and should fix your
> problem.
> Regards
> John Files
> DEC sys admin
> School of Computing Sciences
> De Montfort University

Followed the above incantation and the software is currently being copied to
the ris area.

Thanks for the help John.

Cheers,

 John Deacon.

Original message follows:-

Hi All -

Trying to do a RIS installupdate from v3.2C to v4.0. I've mounted the CD with

# mount -rd /dev/rz4c /mnt

and then fired up RIS and have chosen to "INSTALL software products" in
"a new remote installation environment". I'm then promted to enter the path
of the directory where the software is located - I've entered

/mnt/ALPHA/BASE

as specified in the documentation, and then I want to extract the software
rather than symbolically linking to it. There's then a short pause before
the mandatory subsets are displayed followed by the optionals. After I've
done selecting and it's displayed what I've chosen it then displays

Checking file system space required to extract selected subsets:
        Working....Mon Dec 23 13:22:14 GMT 1996

File system space checked OK.
Extracting OSFBASE400...
cp: /mnt/ALPHA/BASE/OSFBASE400: No such file or directory
setld: Error Extracting OSFBASE400
setld failed.

In /mnt/ALPHA/BASE there's the instctrl directory containing all of the
subsets but for some reason it's not picking them up. I've even tried
specifying /mnt/ALPHA/BASE/instctrl as the directory containing the software
but that fails immediately with

Cannot find a valid product directory under /mnt/ALPHA/BASE/instctrl.

I'm stumped. Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?

Cheers,

 John.

UCL Starlink | Site Manager: John Deacon
Dept Physics and Astronomy | Internet: star_at_star.ucl.ac.uk
University College London | Tel: 0171-380 7147
Gower Street London WC1E 6BT | Fax: 0171-380 7145