System V Environment

From: Debby Quayle <dquayle_at_hamilton.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:53:57 -0400

Hi everyone,

I've inherited a DU 4.0a system (Alpha 1000) without having any prior
knowledge of UNIX, so be gentle with me in your replies please. Your
help/insight will be most appreciated.

My question is:

When DU 4.0a was installed by the past sysadmin (no longer working here),
he said "yes" to install everything, including System V support. To the
best of our knowledge we don't really need System V support because our
machine functions fine without it. However, the kernel thinks we're
*supposed* to be running it so it complains about not finding the license
when the machine boots.

I believe I can remove the software subsets associated with SVE (System V
Environment -- see below) by using the "setld -d NAME_OF_SUBSET" command,
and I understand that this might then require me to rebuild the kernel.
What I'm wondering though is whether this will impact my LAT devices (8
modems + 1 printer) which were configured as "SVR4 Style ttys".

I'd like to get rid of the error message about the missing System V license
but don't want to do so if I'll have to recreate my LATs as BSD style
devices--primarily because I don't have enough knowledge of our system to
be able to handle a problem with the modems if the BSD definitions don't
work.

Debby Quayle

Information Technology Services
E-Mail Administration
Hamilton College

If I use "setld -i | grep SVE", I get the following:

SVEADM400 installed System Management Package (System V
Environment)
SVEBCP400 installed Base Compatibility Package (System V
Environment
)
SVEDEV400 installed Development Tools Package (System V
Environment)
SVEENV400 installed Environment Setup files (System V Environment)
SVEMAN400 installed Man Pages Package (System V Environment)
SVEPRINT400 Print Package (System V Environment)