SUMMARY:ping and telnet problem

From: Dirk Paulmann <paulmann_at_umpa01.gwdg.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:32:23 +0200

Dear osf-managers,

the solution to my ping and telnet problem was just to change the line

hosts=local,yp

hosts=local,bind,yp

in the file /etc/scv.conf

Thanks to everyone who send a message.

Bye, Dirk

Here the prblem once again:

I've got a problem concerning the networking of our new DEC 433au Workstation running DU4.0C.
I can reach hosts in our local network via telnet and ping. This doesn't work for hosts out
of our local network. Alltough nslookup figures out the name resolution for example:

nslookup gwdu20
Server: umpa06.gwdg.de
Address: 134.76.200.106

Name: gwdu20.gwdg.de
Address: 134.76.98.2

a ping or telnet to this hosts leads to the error-message

ping: unknown host gwdu20

A telnet or ping to the direct address (134.76.98.2) works out.