SUMMARY: Kernel rebuild failed. Don't understand error message.

From: Peter Chapin <pchapin_at_twilight.vtc.vsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:01:11 -0400 (EDT)

This was a silly one. Here is my original message (short form):

> I recently attempted to rebuild my kernel using the same configuration as
> for the existing kernel (or so I think). However, during the build I
> received an error that I find difficult to interpret. The last few lines
> of the session are reproduced below.

I realized my own problem about 30 minutes after sending my message (while
I was eating dinner). I had attempted to rebuild the kernel from a shell
that I got via 'su' from my normal login shell. However, I have process
limits in force for normal users. There wasn't enough virtual address
space available to link the kernel. When I logged in at the console as
root, the rebuild went perfectly.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my message. I'm sorry to have
bothered the list with this one!

Peter http://twilight.vtc.vsc.edu/~pchapin
pchapin_at_twilight.vtc.vsc.edu Paganism: Ancient beliefs in a modern world