portmapper not responding still trying...

From: Diane Ibaraki <diane_at_uhheph.phys.hawaii.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:50:25 -1000 (HST)

Hi,
        I'm having problems with one of my nfs servers:
DEC 3000/600 with a PMAZC-AA (dual scsi)
OSF1 uhhepi.phys.hawaii.edu V3.2 214 alpha
servers data information only, *doesn't* serve home or mail partitions.

At least once a month, this system appears to be having portmapping problems.
The symptoms are, all nfs clients systems complaint with:

Jan 7 06:16:16 uhhepj vmunix: NFS3 server uhhepi not responding still trying

Anyone trying to log in after this point will get hung on login. The nfs
server itself works happily along.

Eventually, I attempt a shutdown of the server and shutdown hangs with this
message: "Portmapper not responding still trying"

I usually end up recycling the power, then all is well after the reboot. I
check the error logs and systems messages on the nfs server, but I can't
find anything that will give me a clue as to what is going on. Has anyone
seen this behavior, or can anyone give me any hints how to troubleshoot
this problem?

I must admit that my users do have a tendency to hose the network (running
jobs from the client systems that access disks on the nfs server). But
would this cause something to break on the server? Any parameters I should
be tweaking?

TIA,
Diane Ibaraki
University of Hawaii