[SUMMARY]Unretiring RIS account

From: Larry Griffith <larry_at_cs.wsc.ma.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 17:35:58 -0400

Dear Managers,

        It turned out to be two problems. I found i) and CSC found ii):

        i) When the ris account is set up under C2 security, the u_expdate and
u_lock_at_ fields in the protected password database aren't entered. They need
to be there. This caused the "retired" messages.

        ii) I set up my /etc/bootptab file a long time ago and it uses short
hostnames. DU used to put short hostnames in the .rhosts file for the ris
account, but in 4.0D long hostnames are used. This created mismatches.

Thanks to:

Bruce Butterfield <subscrib_at_scu.edu.au>

who mentioned

  /usr/sbin/usermod -x administrative_lock_applied=0 ris

and especially Dr. Tom Blinn <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>, who spent considerable
time on my little problem!

My original post:

Dear Managers,

     After numerous misadventures with disk drives I've finally
upgraded my 3000/600 server to 4.0D and new disk drives. I have to do
a RIS install of 4.0D on my client stations. I can boot over the
network and get the install screen, but any attempt to choose either
"Setup done" or "Select software" yields a message that "setld -s" was
unable to initialize my server.

     Prowling around on the server for a clue, I discovered that there
were numerous failed login attempts to the ris account (I use C2
security). I verified that a new attempt to install 4.0D over the
network did lead to a new failed login. From previous experience I
know that setld uses ris. I cleared the failed logins and made sure
the password was current and null (I put a non-null password back when
I reconnected to the Internet to send this message!) using edauth, but
I still can't do the RIS install.

     Attempting to log into ris from my user account (which is in
group system so I can use the su - ris command) fails with the
message:

Account is retired - logins are no longer allowed

I have no idea how ris got retired in the first place and I certainly
want to "unretire" it. All attempts to do so with dxaccounts and
edauth have failed. Any ideas?

                                                Larry

Larry Griffith Dept. of Computer & Info Science
larry_at_cs.wsc.ma.edu Westfield State College
(413) 572-5294 Westfield, MA 01086 USA
PGP public key available at: http://cs.wsc.ma.edu/dcis/griffith.html
NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS!!