cloned system causes automount failures

From: Bob Adams <adams_at_kodak.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:09:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading our DEC ASE cluster
to Y2k compliancy. The cluster is made up of 3 Alpha
2100s all currently running DEC Unix v3.2g and ASE 1.3.
The attached HSZ is full of 2G and 4G disks formatted
Advfs and made available to the cluster and network
via ASE services.

Currently the system filesystems on the cluster nodes
are UFS. We want to convert them to Advfs and enlarge
the system partitions (/ and /usr). We got this bright
idea in our heads that we would place a spare 2G disk
on each system, mount them, format them Advfs, create
the root amd usr domains and filesets and copy the
current 3.2g system partitions over using vdump and
vrestore. This procedure appeared to work flawlessly.
We used the procedure outlined in the 4.0 documentation
for copying the UFS root and usr partitions to ADvfs
partitions. After the system disk was cloned, we
would upgrade to 4.0a upgrading the new disk.

We then booted off the newly formatted Advfs system
disk. The system appeared to boot just fine except
for one message that the "root_domain on / operation
not supported". We were told by DEC support to ignore this
message????

The problem we are experiencing is that when the system
boots off the new disk, automounting no longer works.
When the automounter is running and you try to access
an automounted directory, your shell hangs.

We go back and boot off the original disk and everything
is fine.

I would REALLY appreciate any ideas someone might have.

Thanks,
bob

Bob Adams Eastman Kodak Company
Unix System Support Engineer 800 Lee Road
Email: adams_at_Kodak.com Mail Code 03117
Phone: (716) 722-3965 Rochester, NY 14650-3117
FAX: (716) 722-1155