From: Shiva <Shiva_at_it.alstom.com.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:49:26 +1000

Thanks to the response from the following people:

"Nestor Ruiz" <nruiz_at_hermes.bvl.com.pe>
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com (Alan Rollow
Richard Rogers <R.M.Rogers_at_staffs.ac.uk>
Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs_at_natur.cuni.cz>
Alan Davis <Alan.Davis_at_digital.com>

Everyone points you in the direction of "convauth" command & Richard Rogers
explains the steps very clearly & I will try it out. Here are the responses:

"Nestor Ruiz" <nruiz_at_hermes.bvl.com.pe> wrote

You may copy the entire /tcb/files/auth/?/* tree to the new server...
and convert those entries into new C2 binary format by using :

covnauth -O -d p

BUT you may take care in default users as "wnn" who doesn't appear in DU
3.x, and probably root, adm, etc...

alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com (Alan Rollow) wrote

If I had the intervening kits, I'd upgrade the system disk of the older
machine to V4.0D and then move it to the new system. Alternatively,
make a copy of the V3.0B system, upgrade it and then move it.

Richard Rogers <R.M.Rogers_at_staffs.ac.uk>

I don't think this will be too difficult...

Before you start, make sure that both machines are running with the broken
out C2 auth files (/tcb/files/auth/[a-z]/*) rather than the hashed auth file

(/tcb/files/auth.db). I think the former is default for v3.0, and the latter

for v4.0, so you will probably need to break out the auth database on the
v4.0
system using the convauth -O -d p command.

Once that is done you can copy over the required auth files from the old
system, and insert the matching entries into the passwd file. If you change
any UIDs, be sure to change them in both the passwd file and the matching
auth file.

After all this is done, you can use the convauth command to gather all the
entries into a /tcb/files/auth.db file again if you wish. (This appears to
be
the "preferred" way to do things now.)

Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs_at_natur.cuni.cz>

It seems nobody responded to you yet. Study manpages for convauth,
convuser, authck commands. Protected databases on 4.0 are stored in
/tcb/files/auth.db (seems to contain account information about UID's lower
than 100), /var/tcb/files/auth.db (seems to contains the res). You can
tell the system to move all info into /tcb/files/auth.db. I have no idea
whether this will remove the /var/tcb/files/auth.db completely.

Entries on 3.x are stored in /tcb/files/auth/*. You can store there also
entries on 4.0, but it's slower. Better to have them in *.db files.

Use the `convauth -v -d tp -u 100' command to migrate entries.
Use `authck -a -v' to see results.

------------------------------------

 Alan Davis <Alan.Davis_at_digital.com>

You may migrate the /tcb tree to the new system
and use the new "convauth" command in v4.0x to
convert from the flat file structure of v3.2x
to the new hashed db format of v4.0x.

Note that the XsysAdmin and XIsso programs are not
used in v4.0x. The dxaccounts program is used to
manage all user accounts in v4.0x.

You may also be interested in the free software from
the University of Alaska that adds some command line
tools to manage C2 features.

ftp://raven.alaska.edu/pub/randy/zuausr/