SUMMARY: cc: Fatal: Virtual memory limit or system swap space exhausted.

From: Horst Wagner <wagner_at_iap.tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:32:09 +0100

Thanks for the fast replies, the problem is solved.

My original question was (shortened version):

>Compilation of a C program (automatic. generated, source size = 310kB)
>ends with following error message:

> cc: Fatal: Virtual memory limit or system swap space exhausted.
> Try reducing program size or system load, or increase swap space
> (see swapon(8)), adjust system config file entries maxdsiz and maxvas.

Solution:

I am using the bash shell, and the ulimit settings
were too low. I tested this by setting all limits to 'unlimited'
and then everything works fine. I still have to find out which limit
caused the problem. (use ulimit -a to see all limits and their values)

Obviously, the cc compiler in Digital Unix 3.2C uses less resources
then in V4.0C, as the same program compiles under V3.2C without
needing to change any ulimit values. (Defaults values were identical on
both systems)

This hint came from Alan Rollow (alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com).
Thanks !

Also thanks for all other replies with good hints:

George W. Baltz once had a similar problem:
>As I remember it, there was a typo in a variable/function name that caused the
>compiler to go bonkers about an undeclared construct. You might try running
>the program through lint, or using gcc.

Richard Eisenman:
>Did you check to see how much of that 1 gig was free?

and Mukesh Soni knows how to change maxdsiz:
>maxdsiz can be changed in /sys/conf/SYSTEMNAME
>you need to rebuild kernel after that. ( # doconfig -c filename )

Thanks again for the quick help.

Horst.