Stripe-size / Stripe-width

From: <ABenthem_at_PVF.NL>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:34:43 +0100

I have read some documentation about RAID0, but there is one thing that
confuses me.

In some documents they talk about stripe-size which is a stripe-block on
1 disk.
In other documents they talk about stripe-width which is also 1
stripe-block on 1 disk
and stripesize is referred as ( members in stripeset ) * (stripe-width
).
Q1: What is the "official" definition of stripe-size and stripe-width ?

In the LSM manual they talk about stripe-with, which is a stripe block
on 1 disk
from the stripeset.

I make a LSM stripeset with the following command:
# volassist make testvol 2Gb layout=stripe stwidth=64k dev1 dev2 dev3
dev4

Q2: When an application writes f.e. 260K to testvol, will LSM break
this into
     pieces of 64K and then send those 4 pieces parallel to the
advfs-driver
     and the 5th piece at last ? Will ADVFS send those pieces parallel
     the disks ? (64K pieces?)

A ranger was walking through the forest and encountered a hunter
carrying a shotgun and a dead loon. "What in the world do you think
you're
doing? Don't you know that the loon is on the endagered species list?"
        Instead of answering, the hunter showed the ranger his game bag,
which contained twelve more loons.
        "Why would you shoot loons?", the ranger asked.
        "Well, my family eats them and I sell the plumage."
        "What's so special about a loon? What does it taste like?"
        "Oh, somewhere between an American Bald Eagle and a Trumpeter Swan."

regards _at_vB
=======