SUMMARY DAT TLZ06 and TLZ09

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:59:55 +0100 (MET)

I asked

> - TLZ06 handled DAT cassettes up to 90 m : what about TLZ09 ?
> - TLZ06 was seen as /dev/nrmt0l (2 GB capacity)
> and /dev/nrmt0h (4 GB, i.e. compressed)
> any difference with TLZ09 (triple density or other funnies) ?

General consensus was

The TLZ09 is a DDS2 drive so will take 120m tapes (4Gb). /dev/nrmt0h is still
compressed, but this will now be upto 8gig with compression. there is only
two levels of compression (on and off), so if you are using 90m tapes with
compression, keep using the same device name as before and you should notice
no difference

Thanks to
Alan Garde, Marco Lolli, Alan Rollow, Huehls, Mark R.

The latter also reports that

"TLZ09's ocassionally get lost when you use dump and in my case frequently
using vdump. THe problem seems to be in the firmware and the company seems to
thing that putting a tar file on the tape first is an adequate fix. I'm doing
it, it works, I don't like the fix."

I confirm instead that the TLZ09 has not the problems with "dd" that the TLZ06
with recent firmware had (and older TLZ06 did not have).