vt220 weirdness in vi

From: Matt Moore <moore_at_shemp.bucks.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:30:17 -0500 (EST)

Hello Gurus,

We have a lab full of (ugh) vt220s here and I'm having some problems
with the vi editor. Whenever you hit ESC (F11) the terminal beeps and
changes the character from lower case to upper (or vice versa). The
terminal is set to VT200 mode (7 bit controls) and the OS is DU4.0b.
The only way it seems to work properly is if it set to VT100 mode with
VT200 ID. This doesn't sound right. If I'm using a DEC machine with a
DEC OS, a DEC termcap, and a DEC terminal, you'd think it should work,
right? Has anyone else had this problem? The funny thing is, vi works
perfectly on my Windows machine using QVTnet and vt220 emulation.
Thanks in advance.

Matt Moore N3LPH Bucks County Community College
E-mail: moorem_at_bucks.edu Swamp Road Newtown PA 18940
Windows 95: A 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on top of an
8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company
who cannot stand 1 bit of competition.