Telnet/FTP from Alpha

From: Jim Griffin <griffin_at_vol.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:47:25 -0500

Hello.

I have a net with a mix of machines - Alphas running Digital Unix 4.0B,
SGIs, Suns running SunOS 4.1.x, Suns running Solaris 2.5, and some older
Encore real-time machines
running a somewhat old version of Encore's proprietary MPX OS.

I've run into a stumbling block. From SunOS 4.1, I can telnet and ftp to
the Encore machines. However, the Alphas and Solaris 2.5 machines hang at
the connection. All of the Unix boxes run from the same NIS server, so
it's not an addressing issue.

Using EtherPeek on a Mac (Etherpeek is a Mac packet sniffer), I've noticed
a difference in the IP header between the Alpha and the SunOS machines
when attempting the connection. The Alpha sets the IP Don't Fragment
flag, which apparently the Encore can't handle.

Is there a way that this can be turned off?

TIA

--
Jim Griffin - TNS/AANR
griffin_at_vol.com