SUMMARY: Enabling COM2

From: Mike Galuza <mgaluza_at_dejarnette.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:14:58 -0500 (EST)

Here is my original message:

> I am trying to enable the second serial port on my machine (AlphaStation
> 255 running DU 4.0). Previously I had COM4 enabled for a modem and COM2
> disabled. When the ace serial driver tries to load I get the following
> messages:
>
> ace0 at isa0
> aceinit: unit 1, invalid IE bits - 0xff
> ace1 at isa0
>
> When I try to open /dev/tty01 it fails with errno = 6 (ENXIO), which
> means either the device doesn't exist or the driver open routine
> failed. I assume the message "invalid IE bits = 0xff" points to the
> problem. Does anyone have any idea what that means and how I can
> solve this problem? I will summarize.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

Thanks to Dr. Tom Blinn for responding. Tom looked at the ace driver
source code (he works for DEC) and noted that the error message I was
seeing basically meant the driver was not seeing the hardware. He
suggested that my isacfg settings may be wrong. He suggested doing
an ">>> isacfg -init" to set the isacfg back to the factory defaults, and
then editing the isacfg to add back in any custom settings I had. I
did that, did an ">>> init" and after booting the driver seemed to load
fine. Note however that the isacfg settings did not change (I wrote
them down before going to factory defaults). The difference was the
">>> init". I don't think I did this before when I changed my isacfg.
That must have been the difference.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Galuza
DeJarnette Research Systems mgaluza_at_dejarnette.com
401 Washington Ave Suite 700 Voice: +1(410)583-0680 x691
Towson, MD 21204 Fax: +1(410)583-0696