NCR 810A as second SCSI controller

From: Gerhard Horak <gerhard.horak_at_aut.alcatel.at>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 09:14:39 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

We have several Personal Workstations AU500 running Unix 4.0c. They are
equipped with the QLOGIC 1040 SCSI controller for the internal
ultra-wide SCSI disks. We wanted to connect an external DAT drive to
one of the machines for direct tape access instead of the currently
used access over the network. The QLOGIC controller has an external
wide SCSI connector too but the handbook says that external and
internal devices on the same controller are not supported and one trial
we did confirms this note.
So we tried to use a second controller for the external DAT drive and
plugged an el-cheapo ROM less NCR 810A based PC controller in the
machine as it seems to be support by the driver. The controller was
recognized by the SRM monitor as pkc0.7.0.1009.0 SCSI Bus ID 7. The
next step was to boot with the GENERIC kernel. The boot process started
normally, initialized the QLOGIC controller as SCSI controller 2 (the
on board EIDE controllers are SCSI 0 and 1) then went over to the NCR
as SCSI controller 3 and down-loaded the scripts. Booting continued with
the following messages

 vmunix: pci1000 at pci0 slot 20
 vmunix: isp0 at pci1000 slot 8
 vmunix: isp0: QLOGIC ISP1040B/V2
 vmunix: isp0: Firmware revision 5.27 (loaded by console)
 vmunix: isp0: Fast RAM timing enabled.
 vmunix: scsi2 at isp0 slot 0
 vmunix: rz16 at scsi2 target 0 lun 0 (LID=1) (DEC RZ1CC-BA (C) DEC 880F) (Wide16)
 vmunix: rz17 at scsi2 target 1 lun 0 (LID=2) (DEC RZ1CC-BA (C) DEC 880F) (Wide16)

Then messages concerning psi0 (NCR 810A) were written to the console
ending with a triple timeout message followed by 'bus scheduled for
reset'. After that the boot process stops and the machine hangs. The
behaviour is always the same for the controller alone, the DAT
connected but turned off or turned on. The SCSI termination was correct.

Does anyone know why this type of SCSI controller does not work and
what we could do to have a simple DAT drive solution.

Thank you for any help

        Gerhard

--
+-- Email: Gerhard.Horak_at_aut.alcatel.at --------------------------------------+
| Gerhard Horak                                                               |