Summary Re: new alphaserver stuck during boot to gui

From: Bob Parkinson <rwplists_at_omni.library.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:23:19 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks for replies to:

>From: Robert Schuhl <robert.schuhl_at_ald-vt.de>

and

>From: Serge Yurchenko <sergey_at_d902.iki.rssi.ru>
>
>You need reset your system and halt it pressing "HALT"
>button (I mean a third button near "POWER" and "RESET")
before kernel begins to boot. You get SRM console prompt.
>Boot your server in single-user mode typing
>>boot -fl s

I did not get ANY documentation with the new box, not even a sheet of
paper indicating what the various switches on the front did. Thanks to
Serge for pointing out the halt button. I'd figured out the reset one.

Once I got it into single user mode, and then into safe gui mode I found
out it was a real dummy problem.

I'd been given an official ip number overnight, and I replaced
the temp one in /etc/rc.config with the new real one, but had not updated
/etc/hosts. Ho Hum.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Bob.Parkinson_at_omni.ac.uk
Technical Officer: OMNI project http://omni.ac.uk/
        The tellytubbies love each other very much
                        Big Hug