SUMMARY: syslog

From: Mark M. Van Overbeke <markvo_at_CAA.MRS.UMN.EDU>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:07:54 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Mark M. Van Overbeke wrote:

> I upgraded a machine from 3.2C to 4.0D last Friday. I guess I should say
> that I did a complete new install. Prior to that, I had a
> cisco router shouting messages to it on LOCAL7. Since I completed the
> upgrade, I haven't gotten a single message despite having made several
> 'minor' changes to the router configuration to make some messages appear. I
> have checked the /etc/syslog.conf file numerous times. I have pulled back
> the pre-upgrade syslog.conf file to compare and there were no differences.
> Is there maybe something that should be in the /sys/conf/MACHINE_NAME file
> that would let this machine receive syslog message from other machines? Or
> did I miss something in some other file? syslog does appear in the
> /etc/services file where it should be. Any clues? Thanks.
>
> Mark

As was quickly pointed out to me by Sean O'Connell and Olle Eriksson, I need
to have /etc/syslog.auth. I have added that file but must continue to play
with it to get it working. No joy yet, but much closer than before. This
was documented on page 4-14 of the Digital Unix 4.0D release notes.

      Mark

Mark Van Overbeke Sr. Systems Software Programmer
Computing Services
600 East 4th Street
University of Minnesota, Morris e-mail: markvo_at_cda.mrs.umn.edu
Morris, MN 56267 Phone: 1-320-589-6378
--
Success is the progressive realization of your worthwhile goal or dream!