SUMMARY: Setting up DNS Name Servers

From: Paul Crittenden <crittend_at_storm.simpson.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:24:52 -0600

Sorry for taking so long to get a summary out. We had 15 inches of snow
and then spring break and other distractions that prevented me sending
on sooner. Anyway the original question was:

> I would like to hear from anyone who has set up a Primary and a Secondary
> DNS Name Server at their site. Any tips, tricks, pit falls, and/or just
> plain advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I have a
> couple of Alpha Servers that I want to set up with one being the Primary DNS
> Server and the other being the Secondary DNS Server. Thanks for any and all

Thanks to:
David Warren
Burch Seymour
Kevin Oberman
Lucio Chiapetti
Curt Cranfield
Martin Mokrejs
John Pritchard
Chad Price
John Robens

The overwelming consensous was to buy DNS and BIND from O'Reilly. I had
that one and they were right it was very helpful. Some suggested upgrading
to Bind 8.1.1. I chose not to do this since we are upgading our primary
server and I didn't want to deal with that at the same time. Some had
a lengthy expalnation of things to do and look out for and they were very
helpful. I did end up calling Digital to get help with getting my web
server registered and they answered a few questions also.

I could forward info to anyone interested.