SUMMARY: Oh I love my boss (Alpha Laptops)

From: Paul Kitwin <PAUKIT_at_HBSI.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:28:08 -0800

Overwhelming responce to this one. Some very amusing comments as well.
(At least I'm not the only one that gets really off the wall requests
from the powers that be)

Quick summary is that if we have the money, the Tadpole ALPHAbook is the
solution. If we don't want to spend a lot of money, FreeBSD or Linux on
any 'ol laptop will work well.

Below you will find some comments about different solutions:

If I want to stick w/ DEC Unix on the Alpha:

There is an Alpha based laptop. It runs DU and OpenVMS.
It is made by Tadpole (http://www.tadpole.com).
It is VERY expensive.
It's a good product.
It's the only option.

If I want to go to a different version of UNIX:

FreeBSD supports lots of laptops.
FreeBSD runs great on unsupported laptops
FreeBSD is very close to DEC UNIX
FreeBSD is FREE

Linux (see all of the above)

Misc comments:

"Does your boss have pointy hair like Dilbert's boss?"
"Dear god man, do you have ANY idea how expensive that would be?"
"DON'T do SCO!"
"I love my boss too *smooches* but she is my wife..."
"They're ya go, she's not a cheap date." (refering to Tadpole's web
site)
"If you need a network OS on a laptop, why not use Win95?" <-I have NO
idea why this person is on this listserv!

Wouldn't it be great if you could nohup reality sometimes?