How big should an ADVFS clone be?

From: Jonathan Nicholson <jjn_at_sanger.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:49:30 +0100 (BST)

We have a 45Gb raid array supporting an ADVFS filesystem, at the moment it
is about 65% full, to back this up I take a clone and then backup the
clone. The other day the disk reported as full, this would indicate that
the snapshot was over 15Gb!

I am under the impression that clones should only grow in size if files
are deleted or changed, however nobody here can explain how 15 Gb could
have been churned over night!

Is my understanding of the clones flawed?

Would something like the timestamp on a file changing be enough to make
the clone grow?

Is the size of the clone related to the number of files on the whole fs
rather than the changed ones? (The fs is made up of lots of small files)

Regards,

Jonathan

= Jonathan Nicholson - System Administrator +44 1223 494987 (internal 4987) =
= The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambs, CB10 1SA =
= Email: jjn_at_sanger.ac.uk (Work) jono_at_acme.demon.co.uk (Home) =