Printcap, remote printers, and filters

From: Mark M. Van Overbeke <markvo_at_CAA.MRS.UMN.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:39:00 -0500 (CDT)

I'm trying to get either an input or output file working in the printcap
file for a printer on a remote machine. I haven't found anything yet that
tells me I cannot use the :if or :of printcap entries when I have :rm and
:rp. Here is my printcap entry:

behm212laser2|Behm212Laser2:\
        :lf=/var/adm/printers/behm212laser2-errs:\
        :lp=:\
        :mx#0:\
        :of=/usr/lbin/lexpsfilt:\
        :rm=umm-distrib.mrs.umn.edu:\
        :rp=Behm212Laser2:\
        :sd=/var/spool/printers/behm212laser2:

The file I try to print shows up in the spool directory, but nothing in the
file has changed. There is no indication that the print filter ever ran. I
don't even find (another) entry in the accounting file
(sa -a acctfile | grep lex ). The count for that program remains unchanged.
This "program/filter" is supposed to take the input file and make it
postscript. The filter works if I call it separately. Any ideas?

    Mark

Mark Van Overbeke Sr. Systems Software Programmer
Computing Services
600 East 4th Street
University of Minnesota, Morris e-mail: markvo_at_cda.mrs.umn.edu
Morris, MN 56267 Phone: 1-320-589-6378
--
Success is the progressive realization of your worthwhile goal or dream!