SUMMARY: Need disktab entry for RZ1DB

From: Jon Earle <jearle_at_dmcs.dnd.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:47:21 -0400

<EXT:PLAINTEXT_OK>

Wow!

I'm constantly impressed by the quantity and quality of helpful replies to
queries on this list. Thanks to everyone that replied to my original post,
included below for reference. Each reply is listed after, and separated by
'----'.

Many thanks!
Jon

Original Post:

I'm installing a new RZ1DB disk (9GB) into a Alpha2100 with OSF/1 4.0. I
need the /etc/disktab entry for this disk so I can partition it... unless
there is a wise guru who knows of another way to do the deed. I will be
deploying my own particular partition scheme on this disk, but I'm unsure
if I need the disktab entry as a starting point.

Replies:

<Received from Eugene.Viau_at_digital.com at MAC label EXTERNAL>
        I spoke to some of our Unix people and they tell me that disktab is
no longer required. When you install the drive and do the disklabel, fstab
etc at that time you create the drive and give any name you want.

        Hope this helps. If you need more info please call us, and try to
speak to one of the Unix support techs.
------------------
<Received from alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com at MAC label EXTERNAL>
You don't need a disktab entry. The disklabel command will get
the geometry information it needs from the drive and a default
partition table from the driver. Once the disk is labeled you
can partition to taste.
------------------
<Received from robmccau_at_RadOnc.Duke.EDU at MAC label EXTERNAL>
You can disklabel -w /dev/rrzXa /dev/rrzXa, which tells disklabel to get
the geometry directly from the disk. I may have my syntax slightly off,
but the key is that you give the real raw device as the disktype parameter.
------------------
<Received from Christian.Hansen_at_mobilix.dk at MAC label EXTERNAL>
If the disk is brand new, just write (as root):

disktab -rw rz<device num> rzxx

This will of course write the info to the disk as well.
It did the trick for me ...
------------------
<Received from tpb_at_zk3.dec.com at MAC label EXTERNAL>
You don't need a disktab entry. Just use disklabel -- it will get all of
the needed data from the disk's own internal hardware information.
------------------
<Received from hs_at_idefix.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de at MAC label EXTERNAL>
You don't need the disktab entry.
disklabel -r -w /dev/rrzNN rzxx
will do the job, where NN is the scsi ID of your disk. Afterwards you may
use disklabel -e /dev/rrzNN to modify the label.
------------------
From: George Guethlein <GGuethlein_at_GiantOfMaryland.com>
Just use the following comand :

disklabel -rw rz## rzxx

where: rz## is the disk device (ie. rz3, rz 12, etc.)

The rzxx tells the command to get the disk information from the physical
disk itself. You can then do a "disklabel -r rz##" and print off the
disklabel format for reference when you re-partition the disk for your
needs.
------------------
<Received from Alan.Davis_at_digital.com at MAC label EXTERNAL>
The command you need may use is :

        disklabel -rw [-t advfs] /dev/rr[ez][a-h]NNc rzxx

Using the appropriate device name, of course.
The use of the 'rzxx' device type forces disklabel to
use the DEVGETGEOM ioctl to query the disk controller
for the default label. You may then edit this label
using "disklabel -e" to get the correct partitioning
for your needs.

The /etc/disktab file will no longer be updated for new
disk devices.
------------------
<Received from Volker.Hejny_at_exp2.physik.uni-giessen.de at MAC label EXTERNAL>
If you have a disk, which is not in the /etc/disktab, you can still
use the disklabel command to write a disklabel to disk. Just give
an unknown disktype, then disklabel will read the disk for the label.

E.g: disklabel -rw <device> xx

---
Jonathan Earle
Technical Architect
HUB Computer Consulting Inc.
Pager: (613)751-4948
Email: jearle_at_*DELETETHIS*hubcc.ca
       "You can never burn out as long as you're doing what you enjoy.
When it stops being fun, then you burn out.  And I'm still having fun."
                       -- J. Michael Straczynski, creator Babylon 5