Strange DD error message...

From: Yvon Lauriault <yvon.lauriault_at_nlc-bnc.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:03:39 -0400

Hi Gurus,

Last friday we ran our backups as usual but had a strange DD
error message. Because of unreliable tape drives we have taken
the habit of running DD against the tapes after each backup to
make sure they are fine. At the end of the (16) vdump's we use
the following commands to rewind and check the tape:

    mt -f /dev/rmt1h rewind
    dd if=/dev/rmt1h of=/dev/null ibs=1024 obs=1024 files=16

Last time we got the following error message:

dd read error: No space left on device
134978+5 records in
134978+0 records out

Since we are just reading the data from tape and writing to
the bit bucket ( /dev/null ) where is it running out of space?

Thanks in advance!

Yvon Lauriault
National Library of Canada