Oracle 7.3.4 on DU 4.0d swxcr dead in water

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_wukon.appliedtheory.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 12:18:53 -0400 (EDT)

We are having a crisis here, and I'm hoping for some quick guidance. We are
trying to roll out a new service tomorrow a.m., and in prep. we upgraded
from DU 4.0b to 4.0d with 4.0d patches, and upgraded to Oracle v7.3.4, on
a 4100 with 2 CPUs, 1GB memory, a SWXCR raid host adapter and storageworks
disks attached to the raid. This system had been working fine in production
under DU 4.0b and oracle 7.3.2, but since the upgrade it is nearly dead,
performance wise. Problem seems to occur, according to DBA, when
creating/copying very large files - >300MB, worsening at 1GB. When doing this,
the load on the system goes to around 7, sometimes more. "top" shows
a number of processes in a "sleep" state, or "WAIT" state. iostat shows
nothing interesting, nor does netstat, and there is nothing in error logs
or system logs. While this situation is going on, interactive response is
almost nil - a login takes 10 minutes, response to a carriage return
about 2 minutes.

So, here we have this huge machine, which we are unable to use due to
what appears to be an incompatibility either in the new OS or btwn
the new OS and oracle. Has anyone heard of anything similar, or can you
point me to things to examine that might shed some light on what is
happening????

HUGE TIA!
Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com