From: Knut Hellebų <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:31:31 +0200

Regards managers,

Sorry for summarizing so late, but I've been quite busy lately ...
Original post:

> Regards,
>
> I'd like to know when and how you people out there perform defragmentation
> on your AdvFS domains. We've seen problems runnning too many defragment
> processes simultaneously and we've also heard that defragmentation from cron
> is not recommended by DEC (or should I say Digipaq now after the merger ??).
> Previously we were told that defragmentation is a must and must be done on a
> regular basis. If the latter is correct, what would you then describe as a
> sound regular basis ?
> And another thing, I seem to remember someone long ago posted a nifty little >program for mapping AdvFS file handles to pathnames but I did not get hold of it >then. Someone able to give me a hint ?

1. All responders that do defragmenting regularly DO run defrag from cron,
and since DEC in 4.0D have included an entry in cron for defragmenting I
conclude that this is a wise thing to do. However, there was no consensus on
how often defragmenting should be done; some did it weekly/monthly, others
daily and others used a mixed scheme. The mixed scheme consisted of cron
runs and manual defrags if the cron run did not defrag "good enough" (the
majority of those who ran that mixed scheme had a personal feeling on what
was considered to be "good enough"). The rule of thumb seems to be "defrag
more often if the filesystem is active, e.g news/mail/print spools etc."

2. "stale file handle" and mapping from AdvFS/NFS file handles to filenames:

Someone suggested 'vncheck' posted earlier on this list, but this utility
does not point directly to a file using the file handle (eg "fs(2934,852963)
file 21292 gen 32774") that shows up in /var/adm/syslog.dated/*/kern.log. It
is also useless in an ASE environment were the AdvFS domains are not listed
in /etc/fstab. That is also the case for 'ncheck' (of course you can trick
ncheck/vncheck by manually insert an entry for all the locally mounted AdvFS
domains but this is not good if the system goes down and the AdvFS domains
are overtaken by another ASE cluster host)
Dr. Tom Blinn suggested 'tag2name' but I am not quite sure how to interpret
the file handles in the above message into a valid entry in the .tags
directory.
Anyone able to give me a clue; Tom perhaps ?
      *         Knut Hellebų                     | DAMN GOOD COFFEE !! *
      *         Norsk Hydro a.s                  | (and hot too)       *
      * Phone: +47 55 996870, Fax: +47 55 996495 |                     *
      * Cellular Phone: +47 93092402             |                     *
      * E-mail: Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com       | Dale Cooper, FBI    *