From: George Gallen <ggallen_at_slackinc.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 15:45:30 -0400

Original Post:

Since only 4.0d is compliant (or certified as such)

We are running 3.2c, however pretty much at
a basic level, no dns, no nfs. What do I need
to worry about (assuming I don't upgrade in
the mean time) when we cross into year 2000?

what specific to the OS that is, we really aren't
running any accounting/charges off cpu time
or login times. The only adjunct software we
really use is sendmail (v5.65), samba,perl
& ftp. Do any of these have any know Y2k
problems?

George Gallen
ggallen_at_slackinc.com
---------
---------
Most systems will continue past Y2K. The concerns are in two digit year
storage (all systems could think 00 is 1900). And in how time is
counted. Unix has used a limited size time counting based on seconds
from the start of time. When all the bits run out in this counter, time
stops, or restarts. I think this occurs for most unix (and Mac)
machines in 2023.

I suggest upgrading to 4.0D at your earliest convenience. Being a
certified platform gives you an advantage when you do have Y2K problems
with the operating system. It also signifies that Digital will likely
stop all support for earlier releases of it's OS on Midnight Jan 1,
2000. Go figure...

Nathan J Grass, MV-STAR Technical Support
Utility Translation Systems, Inc. Raleigh, NC
919 876 2600 x2216 Fax: 919.876.4001
nathang_at_uts.itron.com / zaz_at_null.net
------------
reference:
http://www.unix.digital.com/unix/year2000/whitepaper.html

it says:
The date command Year 2000 enhancement is available as a patch for
DIGITAL UNIX Versions 2.0, 3.0, 3.2A/B/C/D/E/F/G, 4.0, and 4.0A. This
patch is available from the standard patch distribution for service
customers.

beyond the date, i am not that there is anything else - but then to
resolve the problem - we went to 4.0d.

good luck.

emanuel.salazar_at_mci.com
719-535-1292/VNet 622-1292
--------------------------------
For example You cann't set date older then last day of 1999
Second DEC dont support v3.2C any more.

Adam Danieluk
C.S.T. T.P.S.A.
e-mail: adanielu_at_cst.tpsa.pl