SUMMARY: Telnet Printing

From: Jon Earle <jearle_at_dmcs.dnd.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 15:54:34 -0400

<EXT:PLAINTEXT_OK>

My original post concerned creating a print mechanism such that I could
print from a DU box to a printer on a remote Win95 PC. My original post,
snipped, will be followed by the replies:

> Win95 client connected via PPP to an NT server, and running a telnet
> session to the DU 4.0a box. The terminal emulator I'm using on the Win95
> box is Netterm. Netterm is capable of performing "transparent printing",
> which looks to be a very handy feature.
> [...]
> This could likely be made easier with an LPD daemon for Windows 95, but I
> have yet to find one.

- From Stefan Heim:

I suppose what you want to do is to print from your DU box to a printer
connected to your Win95 box.

If that's what you want to do, get SAMBA from
        http://lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/samba.html
or your favorite mirror, compile and install it. Then make the
printer on the Win95 a SMB share (Start->Settings->Printers, right-click
on the printer, sharing), login to your DU box and issue a comand like
cat file_to_print | smbclient \\\\win95host\\printer -P -c 'print -'
and/or have a look at the smbclient man page.

- From Kenneth Forward:

Try NIPrint, from Network Instruments (www.netinst.com) - it's a combined
lpr client/lpd daemon. I've only used it in client mode, but must say I'm
very happy with it. US$29 a copy, cheaper in quantity. There's a 21-day
demo you can download.

The Samba solution is one I should have thought of earlier, but on
reflection, I'm not sure if I can use it. The remote users are running an
application on the DU box through a terminal session, and that app is what
is creating the print job. Thus, we'd some way to set up a printcap entry
to call smbclient to carry out the print request. I haven't had a look at
Samba in a couple of years, so I don't know if this is possible. I think I
should have another look at Samba soon anyway.

What I will be proposing is the NIPrint LPD solution. I grabbed the demo,
installed it with no effort, created a printer, and sent a job to it which
printed just as I expected. Very slick, and should be easy for our users
to handle.

Take care!
Jon

---
Jonathan Earle
Technical Architect
HUB Computer Consulting Inc.
Pager: (613)751-4948
Email: jearle_at_*DELETETHIS*hubcc.ca
       "You can never burn out as long as you're doing what you enjoy.
When it stops being fun, then you burn out.  And I'm still having fun."
                       -- J. Michael Straczynski, creator Babylon 5