SUMMARY: Storage Works question

From: Daniel David Benson <bensond_at_ssds.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:31:12 -0700

My original Post:

> We have an AS4000 in which we want to add more disks to. Currently we
> have 2 Storage Works BA36R-RA Shelfs (the manual for them actually
> says 'BA356-S Series'). These are each connected to seperate KZPDA-AA
> PCI SCSI Adaptor boards. I would like to simply get another Storage
> Works shelf and daisy chain it off one of the current chains. I guess
> I need to know if this is even possible. The card is a Fast Wide card
> so it should allow for 16 devices, right? I will put all the wide devices
> on the chain with 16 devices and all the older SCSI devices on the chain
> with 8 devices.. (BTW - I know about the total devices = number possible
> - one for the scsi controller...)
>
> Do I need to buy the split bus version of a Storage Works shelf? Do
> I need to buy anything else?

Thanks to everyone who replied. The general consensus is:

1. No version of Digital UNIX supports SCSI address above 8 with the KZPDA-AA
   card.

2. Single ended connections might be a problem later on.

Thanks to:

alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
"Degerness, Mandell ITSD:EX" <Mandell.Degerness_at_gems2.gov.bc.ca>
Michael Springer <Springm_at_clmmp001.atsc.allied.com>
"Dr. Ram Rao" <ram_at_ini.dec.com>

-Dan

Daniel David Benson                                bensond_at_ucdavis.edu
System Administrator            http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~bensond
Social Science Data Service      pgp - finger bensond_at_aion.ucdavis.edu
University of California, Davis                             Linux User