DU 4.0 Xserver does not release memory at all?

From: Arno Hahma <arno_at_nitro.pp.utu.fi>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:04:24 +0300 (EET DST)

Is there any mechanism in the DEC UNIX 4.0x Xserver to release
memory after it is no longer needed?

I noticed the Xserver only grows, but never shrinks. Some
graphical programs, such as FrameMaker, hog large amounts of Xserver
memory. For example, top at this moment shows:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME CPU COMMAND
  875 root 39 -5 99M 53M sleep 190:48 1.80% Xdec
19971 arno 44 0 2552K 352K run 0:00 0.90% top
 8720 arno 44 0 99M 10M sleep 16:55 0.40% maker5X.exe

Now, if I stop FrameMaker, Xdec still allocates 99M of memory and
does not seem to release it at all. Is this a feature or is there
some parameter somewhere to control the memory allocation
policy of the Xserver? Many other systems (such as Sun's Solaris)
implement an Xserver, that does release the memory automatically after
a while or immediately, as a large program is switched off.

Of course, I could log out and back in again, but that is quite
cumbersome, if there are many programs open, networked windows etc.

ArNO
    2