Hard errors on disks

From: MacDonell, Dennis <DennisMacDonell_at_auslig.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:24:01 +1000

Hi,

I am running DU4.0D on an Alpha Station 200 series, with a storage works
tower. I have a disk (c partition) that has reported a bad block. I ran
newfs on the beast and just remounted it, fortunately the disk does not
get a lot of use. I tend to think though that newfs would not have done
very much in the way of a surface check on the disk, it probably reads
the bad block map, but has no way of updating that map. Perhaps someone
out there has used scu or some other tool to map out bad blocks,
something that can access the bad block map. Failing that, maybe they
had worked out some way of hiding the block in a file that is never
removed, so that the block is virtually mapped out.

Dennis
Dennis Macdonell |
Systems Administrator |
AUSLIG | "Any idiot can face
em: mcdonell_at_auslig.gov.au | a crisis - its this
ph: 02 6201 4326 | day-to-day living
fax: 02 6201 4377 | that wears you out"