lpd filter problem

From: Jean-Francois Vibert <vibert_at_b3e.jussieu.fr>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:52:13 +0100

Dear wizards,

I installed on our network a new HP LaserjetColor 4500 DN, wich is a
print server.

The installation went relatively smooth, and it is visible from our PC
and Macs, as well from Unixes.

It is a PostScrip machien, and if we sent it a non postscript text file,
it print it, but the carriage return is not done, only the line feed.
Thus I wrote a small filter to add the CR and it is OK, But... it is OK
if I apply the filter manually (or via a script), but if I put this
filter as the if or of entry in the printcap, the filter is not applied.

I thought (I understood...) that the role of these entry of the printcap
was to modify the file to be printed by passing the file through this
filter before to send it to the printer. Apparently, I was wrong!!

Could somebody tell me how to automatically apply a filter to a file
before sending it tyo the printer.

My present solution was to write a new command (laserhp8)

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/system/hp_filter < $* |lpr -Php8

But if somebody types directly the lpr -Php8 command, the filter is
bypassed!

Thank you in advance.
I'll summarize.

JF Vibert
--
Dr Jean-Francois Vibert  (vibert_at_b3e.jussieu.fr)
Faculte de Medecine Saint-Antoine