SUMMARY: Tru64 UNIX Licensing questions

From: Arnold Sutter <Arnold.Sutter_at_udt.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:58:50 -0100

Hi again,

thanks to Goetz Golla, Bill Mills and Dr. Tom Blinn who responded.

> Do we need additional Tru64 UNIX Licenses over and above the
> 4 standard implicit users that are used by administrators that
> actually login to the Server in this case?

You do NOT need additional OSF-USR Licenses for Client/Server
Connects as in our case (IP Socket connection). You would need
them for telnet, rlogin, xdm, CDE Logins that pass the SIA library
services.

> When somebody is upgrading the UNIX version from lets say
> V4.0 to V4.0E, is there an upgrade License required if one
> does NOT have an Update License Service Contract?

Upgrade licenses are only required on major or minor releases
(i.e. V4 -> V5 or V4.0 -> V4.1) but not for "letter" releases
(i.e. V4.0 -> V4.0E). Since DEQ abandoned minor releases for
the sake of letter releases, this comes to our advantage ... ;-)

See also the following WEB-Site for Licensing Questions:
http://www.digital.com/info/software-licensing/swl_home.html

Best Regards,

Arnold Sutter, UDT Union Data Trading AG, Zurich, Switzerland.
UNIX/Baan Consultant at a Compaq Business Partner.