Summary - TSZ07 on AlphaServer 400

From: Fliguer, Miguel <M_Fliguer_at_miniphone.com.ar>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:32:10 -0300

Our Compaq rep told us that there are previous reports
of this problem on older firmware revisions of the TSZ07,
so we're going for an upgrade (probably a board replacement
I think). Firmware, just as I predicted ! ;-)

Thanks !

Miguel Fliguer - MINIPHONE S.A.
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Original question :

We're trying to install a TSZ07 drive on an AlphaServer 400, using
TRU64 4.0E patch #2. So far we have connected the drive to :

1) the internal SCSI adapter,
2) a KZPDA, and
3) a KZPAA

and in all cases got the same problem : When the drive is offline, a # file
command correctly identifies the drive as TSZ07 with status = offline.
After loading a reel and setting the drive as online, any command
(mt, file, tar) directed to the device either hangs or reports "I/O error"
(shown as CAM SCSI events on uerf). Yes, we have tested on more
than one tape reel, and the drive is operative (just removed from a working
Infoserver). Could this be a firmware version issue ?

I found a couple of summaries on the list saying that this tape model
should work on TRU64 / KZPAA, but at this point we're stuck. Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance.