Common terminal for IBM AIX + DEC/Compaq Alpha Unix

From: Joerg Bruehe <joerg_at_sql.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 16:23:33 +0200

Dear admins,

first let me apologize for cross-posting, but I need to get
information from both worlds.

I am searching for a way to operate several workstations
from a single set of keyboard/video/mouse.
The machines are IBM AIX
   (model 25T, GXT150 Graphics adapter, IBM keyboard;
   hopefully a 43P/260 to be added)
and DEC/Compaq Alpha Unix ("Tru64")
   (a 2100A 5/250, S3 Trio64 card, PC-style keyboard;
   and a DEC 3000, graphic card not identified, LK401 (US layout)).
They are used for SW development (text, 'DDD', administration GUI),
so high-speed graphics are irrelevant, no 3D stuff involved.

I would like to hear opinions / experiences how to combine these.
My current ideas are
a) using a KVM switch
b) using multiple X servers on a local (Linux ?) machine.
All reports / tips / warnings are welcome!

If you have any other proposals, please let me know as well.

Currently I use 'rlogin' from the IBM to the DECs, but I would
like to have the DECs' CDE directly displayed on the screen.
The DECs are in the computing room (and the new IBM would go
there, too; the current one could join them there),
UTP cable to my desk exists - total length is 30 m (100 ft).

Thank you in advance!
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)