Delegating user management

From: Richard Stevenson <Richard.Stevenson_at_vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:59:05 +1300 (NZDT)

Hi all

We're setting up a new server that we will administer, but will be used by
researchers from all over campus. The system is DU 4.0F with enhanced
security installed, and we'd like to delegate user administration to a person
who doesn't have root access. I've been hunting around on the documentation
CD - I've seen many references to the system administrator and the ISSO, but
nothing on how to tell the OS that these people have certain rights when it
comes to user accounts. Does anyone know if DU 4.0F allows this sort of
delegation, and (if so) exactly how it's set up?

Regards

Richard

Richard Stevenson
Systems Engineer, Information Technology Services
Victoria University of Wellington
Phone: +64 4 4635051 Fax: +64 4 4635552

Being a Unix system administrator is like being a tech in a biological warfare
laboratory, except that none of the substances are labeled consistently, any
of the compounds are just as likely to kill you by themselves as they are when
mixed with one another, and it is never clear what distinction is made between
a catastrophic failure in the lab and a successful test in the field.
                                                                (--M. Tiemann)