SUMMARY: Serial console on a XP1000

From: Halvard Moe <halvardm_at_math.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:47:56 +0100 (MET)

Problem:

My console server (stallion multiport serial board on a linux machine)
lost connection to the console on my XP1000, when the XP1000 starts
booting.

Solution, given by "Dr. Tom Blinn":

Set your Linux box to ignore Data Terminal Ready, that is, the modem
signals, from the XP1000. The SRM console firmware seems to toggle
the DTR (as if it had been power cycled) during boot time. Whether
this is a bug or a feature is arguable. But in any case, you've got
to tell the system at the other end of the serial line that it should
ignore the "modem" signals that would normally indicate that a call
was hung up or that the modem is powered off -- because they really
do not mean anything in this setup.

Didn't find any way to ignore the modem signal in Linux through
software (the interface provided by stallion didn't work) so I
physically ignored the signal by modifying the pinout.

Thanks to
Andreas Bunten
Sean O'Connell
and