SUMMARY: Increasing LSM and ADVFS

From: Leonard, Roger <rleonard_at_cvty.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:27:29 -0500

I asked:

> Can a LSM volume and the underlying ADVFS FS be increased on
> the fly? If
> so, what are the logical steps?

SUMMARY;

As I asked it no. But then it is not necessary. I realized my error almost
as soon as I sent it and it was confirmed by at least a dozen replies, all
saying basically the same thing. But for posterity sake, here is the gist
of it.

Use LSM to create volumes and use these volumes to create ADVFS domains.
This is basic LSM and ADVFS commands so I won't bore anyone. Then create
filesets in that ADVFS domain to mount filesystems on. In the event that
the domain starts to run out of space, create another LSM volume and use
addvol command to add it to the domain. Being used to the Solaris/Veritas
way of doing things, this seems kind of backwards, hence my stupid question.
Most importantly, addvol requires the ADVFS advanced utilities license.
thanks to the many who replied.

Roger Leonard
rleonard_at_cvty.com