System freezes

From: Dermot Paikkos <dermot_at_sciencephoto.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:21:29 +0000

Hardware/network info
OS: 4.0D
Dec 3000 server. Running Samba.
40 clients Win95.

Problem: The system freezes for 1-2 minutes.

In late Dec a new 8GB SCCI disk was installed into a Digital
storageworks disk tower. The following day users reported system
freezes. I rebuilt the kernel as I thought this may be the cause of
the problem. I thought this had solved it but since returning from
the holidays the system has been freezing reqularly. I looked at the
kern.log and there were numerous CAM_Error. I asked about hese
recently (thanks for the replies). I thought this was the cause.
Although I have not rid myself of these errors I am not sure that this
is the cause of the problem. The error appear on the terminal and
are not in sync with the system freezes. They are completely
random. I have a new SCSI cable (1.5M instead of 2M) arriving
soon and I think this will resolve the CAM_errors.

I am sure that the freezes are down to the disk installation as they
happened soon after that. Have I missed something in the disk
installation process? Has anyone any ideas?

Thanx
~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot_at_sciencephoto.co.uk
Network Administrator _at_ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668