Monitor trouble on AlphaStation 200

From: Alex Gorbachev <alex_at_iss-integration.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:49:58 -0500

Hi,

Seems like a simple problem, but it's been driving me crazy for a few
months by now:

AlphaStation 200 4/166 with S3 Trio64 only displays CDE on an old VRT17-PA
monitor. I tried a couple of new monitors by HP and Compaq and they go
blank as soon as the system goes into the X mode. Initial boot up console
messages are displayed OK.

My problem is that space is limited and KVMing PCs and Alphas to a single
monitor only works with 60 Hz res on VRT17-PA for some PCs. This causes a
lot of eye strain. The other solution of finding a decent PC driver for
VRT17-PA did not work, as no one seems to have those anymore.

Any ideas on either how to get the AlphaStation to talk to a modern monitor
would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Alex Gorbachev
Intelligent Systems Services Inc.