SUMMARY: changing network card

From: Ireneusz Mrozek <imrozek_at_pakpol.ahlstrom.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:43:40 +0100 (MET)

Hello,
        thnak you very much for your answers. They really helped me.

Especially thank very much:

 Serguei Patchkovskii <patchkov_at_ucalgary.ca>
 John Losey <JOHLOS_at_HBSI.COM>
 "Fliguer, Miguel" <M_Fliguer_at_unifon.com.ar>
 janderson_at_NOVALIS.COM
 Phil Vitale <pav_at_unx.dec.com>
 "Romani, Roberto" <Roberto.Romani_at_COMPAQ.com>
 "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>
 alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
 Jonathan Burelbach <jburelba_at_topaz.cit.nih.gov>

My question was next:
> I changed network card in my box
> AlphaServer 2000
> DU 4.0d
>
> In "boot prompt" I see it:
> .
> .
> .
> ewa0.0.0.8.0 EWA0 00-00-F8-10....
>

> but during system's start up I see next message:
>
> "/sbin/rc3.d/.. ifconfig failed - no such interface fta0"
>
>I saw one more message (I think it not appeared with previously network
>card). At the begining of boot I see:

>cpu 0 EV-45 4mb b-cache
>gpc0 at ibus0
>Module 1011:19 not in pci option table, cant configure it
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Maybe, this is the problem ? What does mean this message ?
>
> Thanks very much for yours answers
>

> Irek

SOLUTION:

Problem was in version my OS (4.0d). When I put my network card
to another box with OS 4.0f, it run without problem. So, 4.0d
not supported my network card (firmware suported but OS not)

Onec again thank you all very much for your help. I have learned
a lot from your answers.

Answers:

From: Serguei Patchkovskii <patchkov_at_ucalgary.ca>

Yeah, that's because DE500 aka EWA0 is known as tu0 to the kernel, rather
than as fta0. Fix your /etc/rc.config to refer to the new interface.

-------------
From: John Losey <JOHLOS_at_HBSI.COM>

When you built the new kernel, did you boot first to genvmunix?
Also, you said you changed network cards. It said it couldn't find fta0.
This is usually a FDDI card. Did you replace the original card with a
similar one?
It could also be that your answer is to just run "netsetup" and reconfigure
your network to this new interface.

--------------
From: "Fliguer, Miguel" <M_Fliguer_at_unifon.com.ar>

If you see ewa0 at the console, you're likely
using a DE500 10/100 Mbps Ethernet card.

But if the system was working OK before, and
now ifconfig fails saying "no such interface fta0",
it means you were previously using a FDDI card
and you replaced it for an Ethernet card ! Could
this be the case ?

Anyway, if you reconfigure the network by running
netsetup as root, you should be able to remove the
incorrect interface and replace it with the new one
(an ewa0 appears to the system as tu0)

After you rebuilt the kernel, was the card recognized on the kernel
config file ? (at the end of /sys/conf/YOURMACHINE )

I guess 4.0d should support this card...

--------------
From: janderson_at_NOVALIS.COM

change the entry in /etc/rc.config to reflect the right naming convention.

NETDEV_0="tu0"
NETDEV_1="tu1"

--------------
From: Phil Vitale <pav_at_unx.dec.com>

Did you go into netconfig to deconfigure your
old interface and configure your new one? If
not, that could be why you're getting this error.

---------------
From: "Romani, Roberto" <Roberto.Romani_at_COMPAQ.com>

        What does the following command show

>>> show device

This will list all devices as seen from the console level. If the FDDI
interface is not here then you won't see it from the OS.

----------------
From: "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>

It looks like you changed your network card from an FDDI interface
(fta0) to an Ethernet interface (tu0). Building a new kernel with
your old configuration file won't work, you have to boot up with the
generic (/genvmunix) kernel and run doconfig with no arguments and
then manually integrate any necessary customizations and build the
new kernel and reboot. Also, edit your /etc/rc.config file and in
it change the references to "fta0" to be references to "tu0" and
then things should work. Maybe..
-----------------

From: alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com

        The old name, fta, suggests you were previously using an
        FDDI interface. The new name suggests you're using a
        Ethernet interface. If this is the case, you'll need
        to change the name of the interface, that ifconfig is
        trying to configure. You can probably do this by directly
        edit /etc/rc.config, but if you have CDE it may be better
        to use rcmgr.

        What network card did you install? If isn't one that Tru64
        UNIX supports, then it won't work.

-----------------
From: "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>

Gee, looks like you went and bought an unsupported Ethernet card.

The console sees it, and probably because it can recognize the
interface chip, it calls it an "ewa0" (which the "tulip" chip
driver in the console is called), but it's not supported by the
Tru64 UNIX driver -- at least, the internal driver configuration
database in your version doesn't know about the card.

In the console, there is a command "show config" that will show
you a fair amount of detail. There are ways to extend the kernel's
device recognition database, and if you really knew what you are
doing, you might be able to get the Tru64 UNIX "tulip" driver to
work with that card.

However, you might just be out of luck.

From: Jonathan Burelbach <jburelba_at_topaz.cit.nih.gov>

fta0 is a FDDI card. You may need to install FDDI options and
patches from install CD.

                                Thanks

                                                Irek