SUMMARY: booting OS CDs (4.0e & 4.0f) on an ES40

From: <Charlotte.Barsby_at_vf.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 16:48:52 +0000

Managers,

The solution to the problem listed below was to move the two KZPCM-DA cards
from hose 0 to hose 1, we arrived at this solution with the advice given by
Dr Tom Blinn and a local Compaq engineer trawling through their history
logs.
Thanks go to the following for their suggestions;

Chad Price:
Are you sure you have the correct PROM in, and that the system is set up
for Unix and not NT????
We did have the system set up for UNIX

Larry Clegg
Have you upgraded to the latest & greatest firmware v5.5? This might make a
difference....
We had an even later and greater version V5.6

Dr Tom Blinn
You apparently have an IDE CDROM drive. The console firmware provides a
device name string (in the booted_dev variable) to the kernel; the UNIX
kernel needs to map that name string to a specific device in order to
find the boot device (in this case, your CDROM drive). The string that
you cite ("IDE 0 15 0 0 0 0 0") is what the kernel needed to parse. For
some reason (that might be a firmware problem, or might be a problem in
the kernels on the installation media) Tru64 UNIX could NOT parse that
name.

I'm only guessing, but I'd try removing some of the option cards in the
system; the installation kernels can only support limited numbers of the
various options. Or, when you try to boot, try booting the "genvmunix"
kernel from the installation media instead of the default kernel. I do
have to admit that I've never seen this problem, but then, I've never had
to install either of those releases on an ES40. V4.0F should install,
but there may be a configuration specific problem or a problem with the
latest firmware that just hasn't been uncovered before.

The install CD's wouldn't boot using genvmunix, but a console firmware CD,
which has a much simpler boot sequence, and doesn't poll the buses did.
After the KZPCM-DA cards were removed from the system, the system would then
boot fully using the 4.0f install CD.
These were moved to hose 1 and everything was fine.

As an extra 4.0e is not a supported version of UNIX to run on an ES40, 4.0f
is the minimum acceptable.

Thanks once again, for the help

Yours

Charlotte