From: Malcolm Dunnett <DUNNETT_at_mala.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:18:33 -0800 (PST)

  Thanks to all who responded. The problem was ( as I'd surmised ) that
Networker prior to V5 is not Y2K compliant. The solution was to install
Networker 5.5.1, which can be found in the Tru64 v5.0 distribution
kit on the "Associated Products Volume 2" CD. I believe v5.x of
Networker can also be found in the Unix 4.0F distribution kit.

  The trick is that this is a full function Networker which will only
run for 45 days without being registered. To register it you must do
the following ( at least this is what worked for me ):

  - Run nwadmin and click on "Server/Registration"
  - Create a new entry, use an enabler code of 878409-4b6bcc-5f478f
  - The product name should change to "Data backup Utility" and you
    will see an 8 digit ( hexit? ) "Host ID" ( which appears to be
    the systems IP address ).
  - email the "Host ID" to networker_at_mail.dec.com. Someone from
    Compaq will then forward the request to Legato, who will email
    you an authorization code. This whole process only took a few
    hours in my case.

    code. The expiration date should change to
    "Authorized - No expiration date"

   Particular thanks to Bevan Broun for putting me on the right track.

   All this information is supposedly in the documentation somewhere, but
I couldn't find it. It's certainly not in the "Networker" section of
the installation guide, which is where I'd expect it to be.

   Sorry if the above seems obvious to the rest of you. I did get
some other responses indicating the solution was to buy a full function
Networker license or drop Networker altogether - so it appears I'm not
the only person who had no idea how this scheme worked.

Malcolm Dunnett Malaspina University-College Email: dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca
Information Systems Nanaimo, B.C. CANADA V9R 5S5 Tel: (250)755-8738