SUMMARY: ifconfig question

From: <doug.taccone_at_gses.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:46:41 -0500

Managers,

Thanks to all who responded...Paul, John, Glenda and Frank.

Originally, I used 'netconfig' to add the alias parameter to the ifconfig
command. The rc.config file showed:

IFCONFIG_0 = "xxx.xxx.xx.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 alias xxx.xxx.xx.2"

Then, when I would ping xxx.xxx.xx.2 the response would return with the ip
xxx.xxx.xx.1. Also, I did not see xxx.xxx.xx.2 listed using netstat-i.

I followed the respondents advice and placed the command /sbin/ifconfig tu0
alias xxx.xxx.xx.2 in the /etc/inet.local file, and, removed the alias
parameter in the rc.config file. When I rebooted, everything worked fine, I
could connect to the new web server site. Thanks again !

Managers,

I'm trying to add a second IP address to an interface in order to start
another public web server on the machine. I tried using ifconfig with the
alias switch. But, as expected, the new ip number points back to the
original ip address. Can someone tell me how to to bind a second ip address
to a network interface card?

I'm using DU4.0D and the card is a DE500-BA.

-Doug Taccone
 doug.taccone_at_gses.com