Final Edition: Multia boot problems

From: Jim Jennis <jjennis_at_discovery.fuentez.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:53:05 -0500

Hi Tru64 managers....

Just to add my thanks to:

Dr. Tom Blinn and Kevin Strickland

(and some additional explanation) to my earlier post on this
straightforward question.

This is my colleague's first experience with a "non intel/non windoze"
workstation, so he is not at all familiar with the boot options available
and the configuration. I had written him about configuring the bootflags
(as noted by all the respondents to my post) but he subsequently wrote me
back saying that the beast was still booting to single user mode.

Not having any personal experience with a multia (or having access to his)
I was not sure if the console options/configuration were identical to our
Alpha VMS and DU servers or not.

I appreciate all the list members who responded taking time to answer this
question for me (and my grateful friend).

Thanks again,

Jim

Dr. Thomas P. Blinn hath written:
>Duh..
>
>He needs to stop at the console prompt and set the boot variables and any
>other console variables that have reverted to "factory settings" (most of
>them will be null strings). When the battery fails, the console memory of
>environment variables can be lost (depending on the implementation, some
>systems do lose these, some don't). Likewise, a new motherboard usually
>will not have the right settings any longer.
>
>The boot variables that matter are "bootdef_dev", "boot_osflags", and
>"auto_action".
>
>Tom
>
> Dr. Thomas P. Blinn + UNIX Software Group + Compaq Computer Corporation
> 110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/W17 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
> Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 884-0646
> Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Digital's Easynet: alpha::tpb
> ACM Member: tpblinn_at_acm.org PC_at_Home: tom_at_felines.mv.net
>
> Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.
>
> Keep your stick on the ice. -- Steve Smith ("Red Green")
>
> My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
> -- Phil Agre, pagre_at_alpha.oac.ucla.edu
>
> Yesterday it worked / Today it is not working / UNIX is like that
> -- apologies to Margaret Segall
>
> Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
> those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.

FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
      from the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.
Jim Jennis, Technical Director for Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1 Discovery Place, Suite 2
Martinsburg, WV. 25401
USA