Late Summary: Do I need more memory

From: <rbramblett_at_excite.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:05:47 -0800 (PST)

Sorry for this late summary: All of a sudden I have had other major problems
(that I don't know how to solve) on a couple of servers here.

My originl question was this::

I guess that I forgot to mention a couple of things.
>This is for a Alpha 2100 4/233 server. We are a small company with about
>100 users (give or take)
>
>Original posting
>
>Greetings fellow admins,
>
>I have a question about needing more memory.
>I am running Tru64 4.0d and I have currently 128 MB of memory and 512 mb
>
>of swap space and I am not sure if I need more or if I can get by on
>what we have.
>I know about the utilities vmstat and iostat but not really sure how to
>read them. Where would I look for answers?? I am scheduling my server
>down time on a sunday for a hard drive addition and thought that it
>would be good to have down time that would have multiple improvemnents
>instead of multiple downtimes.
>I have ran sys_check and it says vm-ubcseqpercent, vm-mapentries, and
>vm=vpagemax are off but I don't know enough on how to change or if the
>memory will be better to install now or wait.
>
>How about future upgrades of OS? etc? I talked to our programer and she
>said that she can't compile with a new version of cobol because it gets
>memory dumps and pagefaults.
>
>Someone point me in the right direction to find out what is going on. I
>would very much appreciate it.

The solutions that were provided by many many people were to watch the
vmstats and see what the system is doing. Well I can't justify spending the
$1k for a 128 MB memory board so I won't. The system is running fine and I
will leave things alone.

Thanks for all of the help.

Ron Bramblett
 (as you can see my original email address is not working so I used a
personal email address)

Visit http://freeworld.excite.com