AS1000A boot problem

From: Simon Greaves <Simon.Greaves_at_usp.ac.fj>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 12:15:50 +1200 (FJT)

We have an AS1000A which was shutdown cleanly before a mains power outage.
When it was booted, early on in the 'blue screen' initialization stuff
(ie before it had started to boot) it started scrolling error messages up
the screen pointing out a memory problem. Compaq came out and have
temporarily removed the SIMMS in the duff bank, leaving 128MB in slot0.

Now the machine starts to boot, configures the SWXCR, fsck's the root
partition, starts LSM, reports it has initialsed lsm0 and lsm1 then the
screen flashes and a message like:

DUMP:

followed by a bunch of numbers appears, followed by another couple of
lines that are difficult to catch before it starts to reboot.

Compaq are going to see if they have memory in stock, if not it could take
a while to get it shipped from Australia. In the meantime I'm trying to
determine if the inability to boot with 128MB is still hardware or if it's
software (ie needs restored) - Should I expect an AS1000A with a SWXCR and
LSM to boot with 128MB RAM? Any tests I can do? I don't really want to
start restoring if it isn't going to work anyway due to memory issues.

Any comments etc welcome,

Simon
--
Simon Greaves				voice: (+679) 212114