slow backups over the network

From: Roy, Kim <kroy_at_ss.ca.gov>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:33:14 -0800

Hi all,

I am experiencing some severe lag time with my network backups using Legato
5.5 with Tru64 UNIX 4.d through 4.0f. I am using a 48 slot TL 812 with 4
tape drives, all TZ88s. Would upgrading to faster tape drives help? Which
tape drives are recommended? Management won't buy off on implementing a
dedicated fddi ring for backup purposes, so I have to think of something
else quick. Some backups run up to 15 hours (for about 65GB of data). If
anyone could suggest ways of speeding up these backups, I would be most
appreciative.

Thanks in advance. I will summarize.

Kim Roy
UNIX Consultant, ITD