Machines not booting - dupdone error

From: Hugh M. Conner <hmc_at_cee.hw.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:08:04 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

A few days ago one of our Alphas running DU 3.2 crashed due to a bad disk. A
replacement disk was attached and the machine brought back up. A short while
later the machine crashed again. This time on attempt to reboot the machine got
most of the way up, as far as having a login prompt, but not having started
CDE, and then crashed again. Further attempts to reboot had the same result. We
tried taking the external disks off (they contained users home directories) and
booting with just the internal disk. Same problem. The machine was then
switched off and left.

We then took the home disks to another 3.2 Alpha and connected them up. After a
while this machine also crashed, and on trying to reboot gave the same error as
the first. Now it is unbootable, but in the meantime, having been left switched
off for a day, the first machine now boots ok again (still no external disks).

The actual error message we are getting is

dupdone: bad copy 0x9029xa00 0
panic (cpu 0) svckudp_dupdone

Does this mean anything to anyone out there? We've got other Alphas, some at
3.2 and some at 4.0, but we're worried about putting the disks on these in case
they also crash.

--
Hugh M. Conner
Computing & Electrical Eng.