SUMMARY: Web console for serial console devices?

From: Paul Thompson <paul.thompson_at_thedacare.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:09:37 -0600

I received a large variety of responses.

Two people suggested Console Works developed by TECsys Development Software
http://www.tditx.com The machine I will be deploying will be running Meditech Magic
as its OS (not VMS, Unix or NT). I did not mention this fact in the original email so as
not to confuse the issue.

A couple of people suggested a Linux box as a console front end using minicom to
connect to the serial ports. I had a spare Linux box and spare 2100 lying around and
have experimented with this.

The terminal emulation is limited with Minicom; on the 2100 test system I was
experimenting on I ran into problems with the ARC console getting into the serial version
of RA200SRL. I have had problems with ARC and RA200SRL (SWXCRMGR) on a VT420
hooked directly to the serial port on the 2100 so I suppose I can't blame minicom too much.

The DS10M machines will not have a SWXCR but it remains to be seen if the minicom
emulation and keymapping will be sufficient for the proprietary OS.

Another suggestion was to search for "World Smallest Webserver" which appeared to be a
homebrew embedded system. An intriguing suggestion but one I did not follow up on.
"look on slashdot for the "world's smallest webserver ""

Others suggested an IP aware DECserver with a telnet listener enabled for the ports
connected to the console. Also not a bad idea, and I may pick this up if the Linux box
does not work out.

The final option was the Secure Web Console product from HP. This is a package which
runs on a Windows machine and front ends a serial console as a web page, but there is a
question whether it supports VT emulation since MPE and HPUX boxes typically use a
proprietary HP emulation on their console terminals. I have a sales person checking on
this now.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
Paul

>>> Paul Thompson <paul.thompson_at_thedacare.org> 03/22/00 02:06PM >>>
Greetings managers

Does anyone know of a product which can hook to the serial port of an Alpha box with no VGA support and serve the console out as a web page, preferably with password protection?

I have dual DS10M servers which will be deployed to a remote site for which this setup would be ideal. I will not be bridging LAT to the site so I can't do a reverse LAT connection or the like from a DECserver.

I will summarize.

Thanks
Paul