SUMMARY: Sendmail 'not Senmail' 8.9.3 & 8.10.0

From: Paul Crittenden <crittend_at_storm.simpson.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 14:24:51 -0500

Many thanks to:
Steve VanDevender
John P Speno
Matthew Huff
Cyndi Smith
Edgar De Leon Salinas
RONALD DUFRESNE
Mike Iglesias
Zhi-Wei Lu
Daniel S. Riley
Jeffrey E. Hundstad
Lucio Chiappetti
Ian Mortimer
Andrew Leonard
Phillips, Brenden
Nikola Milutinovic
Tschermernig, Dieter
Darryl Cook

First, several pointed out I can't type and/or spell. No excuses I didn't
proofread before sending out the original message. Anyway, I didn't fully
understand the true definition of relaying. Now I think I do, if it isn't
mailed from the system that has sendmail running on it then sendmail
considers it relaying.

I first set up a relay-domains file with simpson.edu in it. That worked
but when I went to: www.abuse.net/relay.html to test my system it failed.

I then put just my system in the file pc198a.simpson.edu and that worked
and it passed the relay tests.

This morning I remembered that Compaq had a rule in something I got from
them that used a file of our localips and checked against that. The main
advantage of that is I only have to enter the first 3 octets for each class
C address for it to work. I do have to have everything in my local DNS
server database but that's not a problem since that is already set up. I
tested for relaying and it passed all of the tests.

I think I understand sendmail better now but I am sure there is still more
that I don't understand than I do understand.

Original question:
>I am stumped. I recently compiled Sendmail 8.9.3 and then 8.10.0 came
out so >I compiled that and installed it on a test machine. It worked
fine, or so I >thought. I use Eudora on my PC and today I tried to use the
test machine as >my smtp server for outgoing mail. If I send a mesage to a
user on the test >machine it is delivered fine. If I try to send a message
to anywhere else I get >the following error:

>Can't send to 'address_at_simpson.edu.' The server gives this reason: '550
5.7.1 ><address_at_simpson.edu>...Relaying Denied.'

>I can find this error in the sendmail.cf file but I am not trying to
relay I just want >to send mail to other users on other machines. Why does
sendmail think I am >trying to relay. I don't know where to go from here.
Paul Crittenden
Computer System Manager
Simpson College
e-mail: crittend_at_simpson.edu

I Haven't Lost My Mind -- It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.